A Church is more about the membership and friends in its community, rather than the buildings. Our fellowship draws members from Oxted, Tatsfield, Hurst Green, Woldingham, Caterham and Sanderstead ... to name but a few.
Warlingham Methodist Church represents the oldest fellowship in the Purley Circuit of Methodism. Methodism arrived in Warlingham in 1826, brought by an itinerant preacher who had walked from Croydon ~ a veteran of the Napoleonic Wars. William Gair preached under a large Ash tree on Warlingham Green. From amongst those who stood to listen to his preaching were two fellows who formed the foundation of the new Wesleyan Society in Warlingham.
Their first meeting place was literally a "cottage church" from 1828 in a part of what is now the White Lion public house ~ with the Society first registered in November 1828.
The cottage church was swiftly followed by an old stable converted in 1830 to a Chapel House in the grounds of the current Manor Cottage, Chapel Road.
A larger chapel was built in 1839 ~ it is now a part of Parker's Garage on the Green. It was due to increasing numbers in the fellowship that in 1870/71 a larger chapel was constructed on the corner site at the junction of Limpsfield and Chapel Roads ~ giving the name to the latter. By 1886 it was recorded that there were 85 children on the Sunday School roll.
In 1954 the fellowship built a wooden Church Hall on a part of our present site on Limpsfield Road, to meet the needs of the growing Sunday School. Services were held in the wooden Hall whilst the new Church and Small Hall were being built in 1961. The foundation stone was laid in March 1961 and the new Church and Hall were opened and Dedicated on 25th November 1961. The Halls were extended ten years later.
(Information generally from "PRAISE and TRUST" by Rowland C Swift, recounting 150 years of Methodism in Warlingham)